I’m a newbie to blogging but I saw this challenge and figured it would be a good exercise for the last morning of the last day of 2016…Cheers!
Here are the instructions, as written on the hosting blog, Tales From the Motherland:
- Write your post and publish it (please copy and paste the instructions from this post, into yours)
- Click on the blue frog at the very bottom of this post.
- That will take you to another window, where you can past the URL to your post. (folks have trouble with this, but it’s not that hard.
- Follow the prompts, and your post will be added to the Blog Party List.
- God, The Creator, Higher Power, the Universe, whatever you call the BEING that guides us all on this big, blue ball we call Earth.
- The every-day-ORDINARY-life-moments that remind us we are all one – far more connected than I ever imagined.
- PASSION! Yes, we all witnessed passionate outcries this year from local, national to global politics, losing celebrities across genres, fake news and social media influences explosions. What a wake up call.
- Speaking of wake up call, KINDNESS is calling…can you hear it?
It sounds like your mom calling your name to come inside for supper after a long game of tag football. Kindness in small things have touched me over the last year and I’m looking forward to how it blossoms in the coming new year.
- “Today I will be as happy as a bird with a french fry” sign hangs by my desk and makes me chuckle. How can I not be grateful for the simple reminders to just be HAPPY.
- “Grandma, I love you,” Miss R. says wrapping her tiny arms around my waste. GRANDCHILDREN are the best…maybe I should move this to the top of the list!
- Watching snowflakes falling from my cozy HOME.
- Hot CHOCOLATE “with marshmallows, because hot chocolate isn’t hot chocolate without marshmallows,” according to Miss R.
- Birthday celebrations all through the year with friends and family reminding me that we are all UNIQUE and SPECIAL in our own way.
- Listening to Pandora to discover new MUSIC channels…I highly recommend “Hipster Cocktail Party Radio. Try it. You will love it!
- How can I not mention COFFEE! Not the syrupy, sweet drinks that masquerade as coffee you find at your local coffee shop, but the fresh-brewed-sinfully-good-old-fashion-kind found in my kitchen. YUM!
- Technology advances this year are AMAZING! Just take a look at your smart phone and say a little prayer to all the geniuses who have brought the world to your fingertips.
- Social Media is a blessing and I’m happy to live in this UBER connected online world.
- I’m also grateful for taking time to DISCONNECT and unplug to enjoy the real world.
- The color PINK. Yes, its girly and ultimately feminine, yet it gives me a radiant, happy feeling whenever I see it. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Live it.
- TRAVEL. From Las Vegas to Florida I spent long weekends dancing in the front row as Santana played a few feet away, walking the beach during sunset over the 4th of July, learning a bit too much about itchy sand flea bites, swimming in Alyeska’s salt water pool with Miss R followed by milk and cookies turn down service and these were just a few experiences over 2016. Life is GOOD.
- I am reminded that life’s highs could not be recognized without the LOWS. Yes, 2016 brought a lot of lows with it. But even during the rough patches, like now, with all the uncertainty around my career, I’ve learned to look at things with new eyes and an appreciation for all the blessings even during the hard days.
- My adult CHILDREN bring me joy – OK, maybe some tummy-twisting-concern at times (blame it on the adult child in me), but I’m really thrilled to be a part of their lives.
- Warm SUNSHINE kissing bare arms.
- A melty-mint-chocolate-chip ICE CREAM cone on a hot summer day.
- Peonies from Pikes Market in early summer are pure JOY. Their fragrance captures summertime in every bloom. INHALE.
- When in France I indulged myself and bought a lovely silk scarf. Since then I have been hooked and absolutely ADORE the warm, buttery soft scarves that are delightfully light and utterly feminine.
- BRUNCH at Bouchon Bakery is a bite of heaven on a lazy weekend. My go to favorite is chicken and waffles and a bright mimosa – after all fried chicken and champagne are a treat! Try it you will love it!
- READING more motivational blogs like Do What You Love and happify and less mainstream media. Trust me, it saved my sanity during the election this year and I plan to keep it up in 2017.
- A flight of WINE with my girlfriend as we giggle over the best one.
- Learning the hard way that being SINGLE over 40 is so much better than being with a guy who really doesn’t like the real you.
- Filling my home with lots of SPARKLE just because it makes me happy.
- The perfect lip GLOSS, with a hint of shimmer.
- Netflix marathon in pajamas and cozy SOCKS.
- Like minded soul SISTERS that keep me sane – you know who you are.
- My favorite place to SHOP and find the perfect thing – Nordstrom!
- My life would not be complete without BOOTS. Here in the Last Frontier boots are a necessity that I have embraced completely for every season.
- Finding refreshment with a glass of sparkling WATER.
- Small SURPRISES that unexpectedly pop up and make me pause.
- Working with some really great PEOPLE.
- Knowing when its better to say GOODBYE than hanging around and overstaying my welcome.
- Taking time to CLEAN out my closet and remove the clutter!
- Rediscovering an old FAVORITE while cleaning out my closet.
- LEARNING more.
- Listening to my body. Hello Ayurveda.
- Writing in a JOURNAL even when I really didn’t want too. Sometimes enforcing a little discipline helps center me and my tendency for distraction. “Look there’s a bird!”
- Follow a child’s lead. BAKING with Miss R. has to be one of my all time favorite blessings that I am so grateful for. For Christmas she challenged me to rethink chocolate chips cookies…my 6 year old granddaughter wanted to make chocolate chip shaped cookies. And we did. She gave them away at her GGMom’s Christmas party. SUCCESS – all because of a child’s view of the world.
- VOLUNTEERING for a professional organization when no one else would step up taught me a lot about myself and others this year. Which reminds me, I have a newsletter to get out today!
- Waking up each morning with an OPPORTUNITY to make a better day.
- A new CAR found its way home to me this summer. Every time I get into its solid, comfortable interior I am grateful that I took the plunge and brought it home.
- White TWINKLE lights and white, flame-free candles light up my windows during the winter’s darkest hours.
- I began a new year’s tradition when I turned forty…plan at least one vacation. From cruises to Europe over this last decade I have been so blessed to EXPLORE places around the globe. My next excursion will be a long weekend in New York City in a few weeks with a girlfriend. Imagine, New York in January!
- FAMILY, this includes Fat Cat, my street cat turned house cat…
- Do-Overs, in other words FORGIVENESS. Thank goodness for do-overs when they come!
- Last, but not least, the opportunity to write this haphazard list of 50 things I’m grateful for on this last morning of 2016. Its given me time for reflection and the realization that I am so blessed. THANK YOU!!!!! No matter what, take time today, tomorrow and the next to recognized all the things you have to be grateful for. It will change your perspective and just may change your life.
Happy New Year!